Most of us might have heard of Google Glasses. Augmented Reality (AR) is finally been in live. AR merges the physical and digital worlds in making the real world more interactive to the user.
Mobile continues to be the preferred device for AR application and is expected that, by 2017 2.5 billion mobile AR applications will be installed.
AR offers an innovative learning experience by merging digital learning material over the physical space. Each learner can control his/ her own learning, manipulating digital information and objects for better understanding.
For example when you and your niece are walking across a park, your niece can point the AR browser in the smartphone to a seasaw in the park and understand the physics behind how it works.
In subjects like physics, chemistry or biology, where it is difficult and time taking to understand the concepts in class, AR will be of great aid in Education. Even in complex tasks like firefighting, let it be surgeries, AR can be used for training easily.
Risks of failure in AR is minimal as compared to practical real object based training i.e. a heavy fall while demonstrating firefighting (happened in some cases in India), can be avoided using AR based training programs. Researchers have found that with AR based training its takes shorter time to understand and the performance of the trainees are good compared to conventional training.
AR in Indian Education:
Though there is still a challenge of reaching the digital resources to majority of school going kids in India due to financial challenges of their parents, most of them posses mobile (low end smart phone that starts from Rs. 3999) – thanks to domestic manufacturing, high competition that lower prices.
Mobile AR provides students access to key digital information right from their homes without the need for any other device to supplement their textbooks. Parents can use mobile phones to help their kid’s educational needs!!
However, quality of broadband connectivity is still a challenge in India, for Mobile AR to reach common man. Hope the spectrum issues are solved soon for grea
- WSU researcher wants to make Google Glass safer (kake.com)
- Infinity Augmented Reality, Inc. Announces Successful Technology Entrepreneur’s Investment in Company (sys-con.com)
- The Future of AR in Education – Meet Google Glass (jenellekresak.wordpress.com)
- Revenues From AR Mobile Apps To Come Close To $300M In 2013 (misco.co.uk)
- AR App Downloads To Top 2.5bn Per Year By 2017 (misco.co.uk)
- Augmented Reality! (jodymcfarlendesign.wordpress.com)
- Augmented Reality: Why Virtual Reality Is No Longer A Work Of Fiction (koozai.com)